Pepper Spice from Ceylon has the highest volatile oil content which gives Pepper Spice from Ceylon its unique position in the spice world. Pepper Spice comes from the berries of the pepper plant. Black pepper, Green pepper and White peppercorns are actually the same fruit. The difference in their color is a reflection of varying stages of development and the unique processing methods.
Black peppercorns are made by picking the pepper berries when they are half ripe and just about to turn red. They are then left to dry which causes them to shrivel and become dark in color. Alternatively, green peppercorns are picked while still unripe and green in color, while white peppercorns are picked when very ripe and subsequently soaked in brine to remove their dark outer shell leaving just the white pepper seed.
Black pepper is the most pungent and flavourful of all types of peppers. All Pepper varieties loses its fragrance when ground therefore, the required amount should be ground from a whole corn immediately before use.
Health Benefits of Black Spice
- Pepper increases the hydrochloric acid secretion in stomach and thus, helps digestion. Proper digestion is essential to avoid diarrhea, constipation and colic. Pepper also helps to prevent formation of intestinal gas. Pepper-added diet promotes sweating and urination.
- Helps to lose weight: The outer layer of peppercorn assists in the breakdown of fat cells. Hence, peppery foods are a good way to help you shed weight.
- Good for skin: Pepper helps to cure Vitiligo, which is a skin disease that causes some areas of skin to lose its normal pigment and turn white.
- According to researchers in London, piperine contained in pepper can stimulate the skin to produce pigment. Topical treatment of piperine combined with ultra violet light therapy is much better than the other treatments for vitiligo. It also reduces the chances of skin cancer due to excess ultraviolet radiation.
- Relief for cough and cold: In Ayurveda pepper is added in tonics for cold and cough. Pepper gives relief from sinusitis and nasal congestion.
- The antibacterial property of black pepper helps to fight against infections, insect bites etc. Pepper added diet helps to keeping your arteries clean.
- Good antioxidant: An antioxidant, like pepper, can prevent or repair the damage caused by the free radicals and thus helps to prevent cancer, cardiovascular diseases and liver problems.
- Enhances bioavailability: Black pepper helps in transporting the benefits of other herbs to different parts of body.
- According to Ayurveda, black pepper also helps avoid ear-ache and gangrene. It is also good for conditions of hernia, hoarseness and insect bites. It relieves joint pain.
- It is a good treatment for respiratory conditions like asthma, whooping cough etc.
- It is used to treat conditions of tooth decay and toothache. In ancient times, pepper was also used to treat eye problems.
We ship all our spices within days of harvest pure and straight from Ceylon.